Saturday, May 26, 2012

Drudkh - The First Snow

Drudkh - The First Snow
One of my absolute favorite bands, Drudkh is a powerhouse, recording-wise, releasing one album EVERY year for almost a decade. Drudkh is this mysterious, shadowed figure in the already fairly hidden genre that is folk metal (and its sub-genres), never playing a single show, scarcely doing interviews and almost never doing photos.
This song rerolls through my head every winter day...it is hauntingly beautiful, so simple, and listening to it floods my mind with thoughts of winter in its boundless energy - I have always loved winter the most, ever since I can remember.
More specifically, I think of the day I asked my fiancee, Erin, to marry me. December 17, 2011, I brought her to Copper Harbor, Michigan (Seen here,) the furthest point north in Michigan - VERY remote, and (as I hoped) it was dumping snow all that day; the first real snow we had received that year.
We stopped along the way a few places, as I had made it a scavenger hunt leading to Copper Harbor and me "popping the question..." We stopped at this one point, about 20 minutes south of there. Lake Superior was still unfrozen and lapping on the shore down on one side of the road, down a huge ravine, and the other side of the road had a ENORMOUS dune - almost 100 meters tall, but sloped so it was long and climbable.
We got out and climbed this dune, and the snow was coming down...silent, en mass, and only the sound was that of the lake crashing a quarter mile behind us - still in sight. When we reached the top of the dune, it dropped off at a direct angle; and drop off that would kill anyone who overstepped.
The top of the dune looked out over a gigantic pine forest, its trees coated with fresh snow, and more coming down.
I remember that entire moment to every detail, as I told myself in my soul that that was the single most perfect, most beautiful moment in my entire life, as I stood holding Erin's hand. I still remember it perfectly, and every time I do, this song, Drudkh's "the First Snow," is running in my head.
It's funny; folk metal has a great deal of beauty tucked within its harsh shell - I will be posting many a song like this one.
Kippis!
-Vulpes

No comments:

Post a Comment